...

...

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 43

10 days until 36 weeks

Currently: 34 4/7

This journey has made me have many realizations and new appreciations. Not that I haven't known or appreciated my mother before, but this is different. I know that I would have other realizations and appreciations if other people had helped us out, but I know that God does everything for a reason and has a purpose for all things. And I want all of you to know how incredible my mom has been. She has become me. She has put her life on hold and been here for almost a month in the selfless act of helping us. And it hasn't been easy. She doesn't get to be the grandma she wants to be to Jackson this summer. She's had to discipline him, listen to his angry tears or his frustrated tears, hear his harsh words he doesn't truly mean. And she hasn't complained about it. (It's not that Jack has been awful, because he hasn't...he has handled this so well, but really, how well would you do if your mom was in the hospital for 4 weeks and has been in her bed since coming home, but he certainly has had his moments.) It's not the summer she wanted. She wanted fun times with Jack...going to the park, scavenger hunts, fun activities. And we're working on that because they both deserve that. She didn't plan on a summer with an emotional daughter who is scared, worried, frustrated and bored. But she's done it...she has been here every day to help me. She has sat and listened to me when I'm all of those things. She has listened and offered much needed advice. She has spoiled me rotten with just about every comfort food that she can think of! (I mean, what mom would make brownie dough, pinwheel cookies, mashed potatoes and gravy, oatsies, homemade ice cream and crispies all summer long for their daughter!) She didn't plan on a summer of being a maid and helping clean our house. She didn't plan on a summer where she'd have to cook for 4 other people rather than just my dad. But she has done it and she is amazing! Today she is outside, staining Jack's swingset because she knows it's a project that Jon wants done, but doesn't have the time. She didn't plan on a summer away from her husband, but she is doing this for us and I will be forever grateful for that. I know that other people are willing and able to help us, but at a time like this, no one can replace your mother. And as I looked outside today, watching her stain our swingset and I have a new cardboard roadmap at the foot of my bed for Jack to decorate and play with, I realize just how lucky I am to have such an amazing mom. Thank you mom, from the bottom of my heart for all you have done for us! Without you, I wouldn't be the woman that I am today and I certainly don't tell you often enough! We love you and thank you for giving up your summer for us!! It will all be worth it in the end!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Libby! What a heartwarming post about your Mom...my eyes are tearing up just knowing that your Mom loves you more than you will ever know. The older our kids get, the harder it is to do things for them and I'm sure you're Mom is enjoying every second she is with you and your family. Blessings to all of you and sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete