...

...

Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 35

4 days until 34 weeks
18 days until 36 weeks

Currently: 33 3/7

Here we are...at 33 weeks!!! Obviously, I've mentioned before that I'm shocked we made it this far!! Shocked and thrilled all at the same time...only 4 more days to beat Jack's record!

Last Friday, I ended up going into Triage because my extra dose of Procardia wasn't keeping contractions away. I haven't had to take too many extra doses, but had taken it two days in a row, a few times and since it was Friday, I figured I better call. I wasn't concerned that this was labor and things were happening, but much better to be safe than sorry. Thankfully, no changes and after my 4:00 dose, things slowed down. The weekend was fairly quiet for the most part. Hopefully they continue this way.

This week definitely marks a significant week for us. Four years ago, this was the week that Jack started causing some "issues" and made his grand arrival into this world! We're hoping not to make a repeat of this week this time around. I haven't even had the chance to talk with Dr. Kemper about my birth plan...maybe I should get on that one! :) I did at least ask for the pamphlet/brochure thing they have to fill out today. (And no, I'm not that much of a procrastinator...my birth plan is fully filled out and sitting at my desk at work...waiting for my next dr appt...oops!) I probably should have talked with her about it today, but kind of forgot. Maybe by not talking about it, it will miraculously hold this birth off for a few more weeks. All I can say is...bring it on! Lots of women talk about being scared about labor or being highly anxious about it. Now I'm not saying I'm looking forward to it, I know it's going to be painful and not much fun, but I am looking forward to proving to myself (and a not-as-confident husband) that I can do this without any help. I had minimal drugs with Jack and didn't like how they made me feel, so am planning a natural birth. I know it's not going to be easy, but with the side effects of epidurals and the minimal amount of drugs that do get into baby's system, I know that I need to give this baby his/her best opportunity to thrive, especially if he/she arrives early! Monkey will need every single opportunity possible to succeed. A lot of women get epidurals, which is fine...to each their own...but no one ever talks about the effects it has on the baby. I'm sure it is because the side effects are very minimal, but still side effects. It takes up to 2 weeks for the anesthesia to work it's way out of your system...and that includes baby's system too. So babies are sleepy and don't nurse or bottle well because they have that minimal amount of anesthetics in they're system. It lands a lot of barely term (35-37 weekers) in the NICU because they are too sleepy to eat, drop their blood sugars and buy themselves a week or two in the NICU until they "wake" up. No thanks...I'd rather suffer through a not fun labor to keep my baby nice, alert and not medicated. Women have done it for centuries, so let's keep up the tradition! Ok...I'll get off my soapbox now!! But in all seriousness, I do think that the only reason Jackson did so well in the NICU, bottled right away and only stayed in the NICU for 8 days was because I didn't have an epidural and he was more alert. So here's to giving this baby the exact same opportunity!

So the plan from here is to go off the Procardia on Friday at 34 weeks. We'll see what happens from there I asked Dr. Kemper how long she thought it would be until delivery and we, of course, got the "I have no idea and can't predict that one." So now the matter becomes if these contractions actually do something or if they are just simply contractions. Like Dr. Kemper said, "You may be making a few trips into triage before we know if it is true labor or not." Great...nothing like not really knowing and being sent home over and over! I'm hoping it's obvious and we only have to hit triage one time! I have a feeling I will second guess myself a lot since I didn't go into labor with Jack in a "normal" way. It's almost as if I'm doing this for the first time again and am going in blind! Hopefully it's obvious and we don't have to worry about it.

Best go get my bag packed for the hospital...no wait, best go tell my mom what needs to get packed and where it's at. Thank heaven for my mom...she's been a God-sent to have since I've been home!! I told Jon today that we need to work on Monkey's room...haven't even bought a pack of diapers or wipes yet! Second kid syndrome I guess.

Here's to a quiet week and beating Jack's 34 week record!! I have a few more projects to complete before this baby arrives!

1 comment:

  1. I get the feeling monkey is going to beat Jack's record!!! Hope things hold off and you have plenty more time to prepare for this little one to come! Or time to direct your mom to help prepare everything for monkey. :)

    ReplyDelete