...

...

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 3...25 more to go for our goal

I've been waiting for Jon to bring our laptop up so I can keep everyone up-to-date! So Sunday afternoon we all came up so I could get my second betamethasone shot. I was expecting to come in, get my shot and continue on our day of groceries and graduation receptions....not so much! They hooked me up to the monitor to just check and I was having a few contractions. Couldn't feel them or didn't notice them, so they just kept watching. Got my shot, figured we'd be on our way, but then contractions started coming more frequently. My nurse kept asking if I noticed any and I said nope, not at all! Makes me a tad bit nervous that I'm not noticing something as important as contractions...yikes! Because of the frequency of contractions, the nurse suggested just staying for a few hours and watching things. So I sent Jack and Jon grocery shopping and waited...still contracting, so the nurse asked to check and see if there were any changes. Let the tears begin..."You're 1 cm dilated and about 60% effaced." Yikes...28 weeks and starting into labor is not a good thing. She called my perinatologist and the decision was made to start some medication and keep me in for at least 48 hours to watch things. So Jon took Jack home and got him settled in with Nikki and came back to the hospital. Took my first dose of Indocin...still contracting. Things slowed down until I needed my next dose early in the morning. Lots of contractions around that time, but then things started calming down.

So here we are, at Hotel Sanford, watching and waiting. When I first was pregnant and talking with my doctors, we had the goal of at least 37 weeks...they felt that was very possible and things looked good. So change in status as my cervical length wasn't so hot to start. Then the goal went to 34 weeks (when Jack came). Now the goal is 32 weeks. So that gives me 25 more days to go. Every day from here is absolutely a blessing. For every day that this baby stays inside, is said to save about 2-3 days in the NICU. From working in the NICU, we completely understand this. Dr. VanEerden was in this morning and I'm still having some contractions here and there...nothing consistent, nothing to get that excited about. But that does mean I'm still here. I'll be switching medications and POSSIBLY going home in the next few days. Doubtful, but possible. I'll have another ultrasound to see if my cervical length has shortened again and see if I've dilated anymore. That will depend on if my bedrest continues in the hospital or if it continues at home. Everything is a waiting game and as far as I'm concerned...I'll wait 70 days if it means I'll have a healthy, term baby. Please keep our family in your prayers as things are a bit crazy with coordinating schedules and Jack and everything. Thanks for checking in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment