...

...

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 10

16 days until 32 weeks
30 days until 34 weeks
44 days until 36 weeks

Currently: 29 5/7 weeks

We're up to double digits for our stay...day 10. I had another ultrasound this morning to check cervical length and unfortunately, it's down to 7 mm (from 12 on Monday). So that just means I'm not going home anytime soon. In all reality, it gives me a sense of relief...it gives BOTH of us relief! We both know that as long as I'm here, I'll be monitored closely and if something happens, we'll know sooner. Jon and I both feel like I can make it to at least 32 weeks as long as I am in the hospital. If I go home, we feel like it will be sooner than that. For all things involved (especially Monkey being in the NICU), we need to get past 32 weeks. If the doctors told me to hang upside down from the ceiling to keep this baby in, I'd do it! So right now, as horrible and tough as it is not being home and not seeing Jack and Jon every day, I know it's what needs to happen and I'm okay with this.

When I talked to Jon today, his first comment was, "Well, looks like we'll be having a baby sooner than later." And I immediately said, "Not necessarily." Just because my cervical length is less, doesn't meant that this baby is coming soon. One of the things that they do to help boost premature babies is giving betamethasone (a steroid) to help their lungs. I had that done when I came in and they don't repeat that. The other thing that they do is give Magnesium Sulfate to help protect the baby's brain. Premature babies have an increased risk for intracranial (inside the brain) bleeding. This can cause some major problems and be a huge indication of life long problems. MagSulfate is most effective when it is given two days prior to delivery. Right now, there is NO talk of needing to start this. I've asked every time my length drops and they keep saying 'not yet.' Now, the day that they tell me that we need to start MagSulfate will be the day that I get a bit more nervous. When they finally pull that trigger, I will know that delivery is soon. So as for right now, we are doing ok. There is not any talk that Monkey will be arriving in the next few days. I will do another cervical length on Friday and we will see what that brings. My contractions have slowed down a lot, which is a blessing. I'm still having a few here and there, but nothing consistent enough to make any changes. Monkey is very active and moving all over the place, so that's also good news! Keep sending the prayers and I'll keep cooking this baby! Thanks for checking in!

Jon, Libby, Jack and Monkey 

No comments:

Post a Comment