...

...

Monday, July 25, 2011

Introducing...

Kenzington Jolee Burns

Born: July 22, 2011 at 4:15 p.m.
Weight: 5 lbs 5 oz
Length: 19"

Friday was an exciting day at the Burns house...although none of us knew that starting out! I was woken up around 4:30 with some contractions but didn't really think a whole lot about it. Didn't think much of it because they weren't anything more than I had already had. I had fallen asleep for periods of time so figured it was nothing.

 (On a side note, it was as if Jack knew something was going to happen because he was super duper sweet that morning! He was looking out the window to our backyard and said, "Mommy, come look at these pretty white flowers. They're just for you!" And lots of sweet hugs and snuggles)

I went to work and just didn't quite feel right, but couldn't really say that yes, it was labor. By 9:30, I decided maybe I should call Dr. Kemper's office to see if I should just wait for my 1:45 appt or go to triage. They said triage, so I walked on over. I was dilated to 3 cm, which was an increase but not a  lot. So they suggested walking. I felt like a single mom, walking the halls by myself, as I had told him to sit tight until we knew more. So I walked and walked and walked for a while. Jon got there and Dr. Hermanson had decided that yes, I was in labor since my cervix was continuing to change, although I didn't look or act like it. They admitted me at 1:00 and by that time, I was dilated to 6 cm. At 2:00, they broke my water and then contractions started picking up by 3:00. Around 3:50, I was ready to push, but no one else was! :) My nurse was shocked when she checked and I was 10 cm dilated and even more shocked when she felt a head! She made a very urgent phone call to get everything ready, since things were moving fast! And then to top it off, Dr. Hermanson had gotten called for an emergency C-section, so there was no doctor either!! They paged Dr. Kemper twice and were about ready to page the next doctor, when she rounded the corner. By this time it was 4:05, Dr. Kemper was telling me to slow down so she could get gowned up and by the time that happened, Kenzington made her arrival at 4:15!! Talk about fast action delivery!.! I'm not sure who was most surprised that it was a girl...myself, Jon, or Dr. Kemper! She was convinced my whole pregnancy that this was a boy...enough that when I was pushing, she kept saying, "Let's get this little guy out and see his face." She was just as shocked as we were!! That and we were all surprised by how much dark hair she has!

I really couldn't have asked for anything better. It went much better than expected...painful, yes, but not long! I'm grateful that Dr. Kemper was the doctor that was there (although, at that point in time, I wouldn't have cared who was there) since she has gotten us through so much during this pregnancy! Jon was an awesome coach and got me through the worst of it with ease. I had an awesome nurse, whom I had had on High Risk OB (she had gotten me through a few meltdowns), and was relieved to have someone I knew who had already gotten me through bedrest!

Kenzington is a wonderful baby...she is calm, content and beautiful! Our first few nights were a bit rough, but last night at home was great! She has picked up on nursing fairly well and we're waiting for her to gain some weight back. None of us know quite who she looks like though! When she's asleep, she looks like Jack, but when she opens her eyes, she doesn't quite look exactly like him. We're loving getting to know her and ohh and ahh over her!

Jackson is an awesome big brother!! He's doing a great job and is amazing with Kenzi. He talks to her and sings songs to her. It's so adorable seeing him with her. We are definitely adjusting and loving our family of four! 

No comments:

Post a Comment